Saturday, June 14, 2014

Supporting Your Team to the Death...Literally

     At 10:27 PM last night I got a text from my dad. “LA Kings Stanley Cup champions.” This text came just seconds after I had watched Alec Martinez scored the cup-clinching goal in double overtime. The last few years have been fun because the Kings have been a dominant team in the NHL. My dad has been a fan of the team since I can remember, but has never had much to celebrate because of their lack of success. Maybe that’s why a couple weeks ago I decided to buy him an LA Kings hat for father’s day. He has so long been a supporter of a losing team that I thought it would be nice for him to be able to have something to identify him with the winning team. I wonder whether this gift would have come to my mind had the King’s continued to lose.
     I am not the only one who pays more attention to a winning record. Valued at $450 million, the King’s value change from 2012 to 2013 was +63%. As of last November, they were valued as the 10th most valuable team in the NHL. I am not sure exactly how big of an impact a winning has on faniship, but I know it's at least some.
     I remember once reading an article in which the author cited a florist who noticed that when a team was winning games and titles, he received more orders for flower arrangements based on the team colors and logos. For examples, he noticed a sudden increase in orders for green and gold funeral flower arrangements after the Green Bay Packers won the Super Bowl.

     I thought it was interesting that in probably the most identity-based settings in our society, a funeral, friends and family would associate the deceased with the teams they supported. I thought it was even more interesting that at least some were more likely to feel it appropriate to connect the identity of the deceased to a team if that team was winning. This is a huge statement to the power of sports in influencing and even creating identity.
     It makes you think about what people would remember about you when you die. If they were asked to speak about you to a room full of people who barely knew you, would your connection to a sport or a team be one of the first things that comes to mind? The powerful way sports influences identity and self-perception is fascinating.

     I am not exactly sure all the reasons my dad has been such a King’s supporter all these years, part of it is probably his California upbringing and another part of it the era where Gretzky made the Kings contenders. 
     Research will surely continue in sports and communication because owners and managers want to understand what makes a team a part of a fan’s identity. They want to know the how LA Kings become so important in a fan’s life that even their funeral is dressed in black, white and silver.

No comments:

Post a Comment