Wednesday, October 29, 2014

How the NHL has Become "My League"

     If you've read this blog much, you've probably noticed that I am a big fan of the NHL. Although I wasn't raised in a hockey community, I have come to feel like the NHL is "my league," probably more so than any other league. The National Hockey League is one of the best sports organizations in the nation at connecting with their fans. It seems they are one of the best at looking at their organization through the eyes of a fan. In previous posts I've talked about the #hartnelldown, #myplayoffstory and other branding pushes in the NHL. I remember an advertising initiative a few years ago based on NHL fans. Their tagline was something like "hockey fans aren't like other fans." The campaign aimed at building loyalty to the NHL by reinforce a unique identity for hockey fans. 
     They league recently introduced another great initiative that is totally fan-focused. Puck Personalities is a video series on the NHL.com blog in which hockey superstars answer all kinds of questions, some about hockey, most about their personal lives and preferences. The video series allows fans to see the athletes they love on the ice in a more personal setting. I felt like I knew the players I've watched for years so much better after watching just a few short videos. 
     When fans feel connected to players, teams and leagues, being a part of the sport is no longer what they do, but a part who they are. Any business that can do that will be able to build strong fan support, and the NHL seems to be getting better and better at it! 

Links to a few puck personality videos:
Favorite Halloween Costume
Not an NHL player
Bucket List

What is your league?

No comments:

Post a Comment